Capital Feasibility Study
Chestnut Tree House (CTH) established that the current hospice building was in significant need of refurbishment after 15 years of use. Early indicative costs of the project were £7.5m.
Chestnut Tree House commissioned Money Tree Fundraising to conduct a capital feasibility study, with a specific focus on developing existing and new major donor relationships. The overarching brief was to:
- Peer review organisations potentially competing for funds.
- Assess fundraising potential from individuals, companies and trusts towards the capital project.
- Write a case for support.
- Increase major donor income through developing existing donors and bringing in new prospects.
- Explore and maximise connections and fully utilise networks, including through trustees, ambassadors, existing donors and senior volunteers.
- Review the range of giving and stewardship options available to prospects and donors – with a view to developing new products and events if required.
- Ensure that capital and non-capital project asks are of the right level and attractive to donors and prospects.
- Coach staff and trustees in the art and science of major donor fundraising, especially around a capital appeal
CTH did not have the staff capacity or experience to scope out and contact relevant funders for their capital project. They were not sure how much they could raise, so they needed to give their Board an idea of how much would be required from reserves. Chestnut Tree House also needed to breathe new life into their major donor programme.
Money Tree Fundraising established what CTH would raise from the giving constituency (warm and cold corporate, corporate foundations, trusts, plus warm major donors), providing a detailed breakdown to help build towards launching Chestnut Tree’s capital appeal. The interviews with potential capital donors were useful in helping CTH understand their level of passion for Chestnut Tree House and interest in supporting the capital project. The training for fundraising staff and senior leaders built on the feasibility report, giving Chestnut Tree House further confidence on how to proceed with big asks as part of their capital appeal.
“We have really enjoyed working with Jane, very positive.”
Stephanie Smith, Director of Income Generation Marketing
“It’s been great working with Money Tree Fundraising and thank you for your patience during the capital appeal work. I personally have found it a really positive experience and very much look forward to delivering a successful appeal.”Sarah Colbourne