Middle Donor Programme
Mid-level donors are identified as those who do not fall into the category of major donor or regular giver. They are crucial to your charity’s income as they have the capacity to contribute a significant proportion of your donor income. They are often neglected, however, as they do not sit naturally with either Individual Giving or Major Donor Fundraising, being a hybrid of the two.
Typically these donors give between £500-£1,000 cumulatively in a calendar year and/or a single gift of between £100-£1,000. Communication with middle donors is best handled by phone and through personalised written communication – a 10% improvement in donor retention rate can equal 200% in donor lifetime value.
A strong middle donor programme improves donor retention and increases the number of donors who upgrade their giving. This is especially important with the introduction of GDPR legislation in May 2018, which will inhibit mass direct marketing to large databases.
The benefit of implementing a middle donor programme promptly is that it gives the charity time to build stronger, opt in, relationships with donors that will withstand this regulation change.
We can work alongside your Fundraising Team to implement a successful, sustainable middle donor programme. We can:
- Brief your team on what a strong middle donor programme looks like
- Work with your data team to organise the donor pool into tiers according to value
- Plan who should be phoned and who should be communicated with by mail
- Provide a script for the Supporter Services Team to call middle donors
- Critique the existing donor communications and make recommendations
- Develop a diarised donor engagement plan to ensure ongoing stewardship
- Provide templates for managing middle donors
- Make recommendations for investment and staffing
- Make income projections and build budgets
- Coach staff if necessary
Middle donors are increasingly important – make sure you are middle donor ready by May 2018! Contact us to find out more about how we can help.